The form allows students the opportunity to appeal tuition/fee charges following a course drop, a withdrawal to zero credits, or past the last day to drop with no refund due to extenuating circumstances (medical, military, death in immediate family, work or personal natural disasters, etc).
Reason for Denial of an Appeal
• If the appeal is not received within the allotted time frame of the semester in which the charges were accrued.
• Required documentation is not received with or within 10 business days of the Student Finance Appeal form.
• An appeal that is submitted after the deadline. Appeals must be submitted no later than mid-term of the next following semester.
• Student enrolled in courses, but decided not to attend and did not follow drop/withdraw to zero credits process.
• Student account has been submitted to a collection agency.
• Lack of knowledge of applicable dates and deadlines.
• Changes in job, work schedule or employment (*unless related to a natural disaster with sufficient documentation).
• Failure to verify class schedule and/or schedule changes.
• Non-attendance of class(es).
• Personal errors in judgment regarding:
• Availability of finances to pay associated charges
• Class work load and academic ability
• Time management
• Availability of transportation to and from class
• Dissatisfaction with course content or method of instruction. If appealing is for this reason, please contact the Dean of Academic Affairs.
• Failure to understand or follow syllabus.
• Inadequate equipment required for class.
• Inadequate, late application or loss of eligibility of financial aid, scholarships, or third party authorization.
• Non-receipt of information/notices sent to student's email and/or USPS address.
• Not benefiting from:
• a fee (e.g. wishing to appeal the mandatory/student/class/course/program fees)
• course credits in regard to degree requirements or changes in major
• Lack of proper, descriptive documentation.
• Student is asking for a refund of dropped classes that were not refundable at time of drop.
• Student dropped/withdrew prior to the hardship submittal.
• Student is asking for a refund prior to the last date of attendance.
• Student submitted previous hardship from current or previous enrollment.
• Failure to submit supporting documentation.
• Student participated in class during or after time frame of official dated documentation.
• Type your information into each field, check the signature box and click submit at the bottom of this form.
• Documentation must be submitted to the Student Finance Office upon completion of the form.
Student Finance Office - Schafer Hall
Fax Number - 701.224.5550
Mailing Address - BSC, Student Finance, PO BOX 5587, Bismarck ND 58506
• This process may take up to 7 working days.
• After the Student Finance Office reviews the form an email will be sent to notify you if the form is approved or denied.
Note: Remember the burden of proof is on you. The more clear, complete, and specific you can be, the less chance of misunderstanding and the better the Student Finance Office can perform their task.